Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements -VisionFunds
Charles H. Sloan-Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 13:54:57
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile detention facilities,Charles H. Sloan on the verge of shutting down over safety issues and other problems, can remain open, state regulators decided Thursday.
The Board of State and Community Corrections voted to lift its “unsuitable” designation for Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar and Central Juvenile Hall in Boyle Heights.
Both facilities could have been forced to shut down April 16 because of failed inspections over the past year.
The state board, which inspects the youth prisons, determined last year that the county had been unable to correct problems including inadequate safety checks, low staffing, use of force and a lack of recreation and exercise.
Board chair Linda Penner said while the county had made some improvements, officials should not consider the outcome of the vote “mission accomplished,” the Southern California News Group reported.
“Your mission now is sustainability and durability. We need continued compliance,” Penner said.
Only six of the 13 board members supported keeping the lockups open. Three voted against it, saying they did not believe Los Angeles County could maintain improvements at the facilities long-term. The other four abstained or recused themselves.
Board members warned the county that if future inspections result in an unsuitable designation, they would not hesitate to close the facilities.
The Los Angeles County Probation Department, which oversees the juvenile halls, said it was stabilizing staffing levels and improving training procedures. Probation Chief Guillermo Viera Rosa said his department acknowledges “the ongoing concerns and acknowledge there’s still much more to be done.”
The Peace and Justice Law Center, which advocates for prison reform, said the juvenile halls need “real fixes, not temporary Band-Aids.” Co-Execuitve Director Sean Garcia-Leys told the news group that the nonprofit plans to conduct a private audit to try to determine “why the board has reversed itself and decided a few weeks of compliance with standards outweigh the years of failure to meet minimum standards.”
The board’s decision comes after California phased out its three remaining state-run youth prisons and shifting the responsibility to counties.
The shift to local control is the final step in a lengthy reform effort driven in part by a class-action lawsuit and incentives for counties to keep youths out of the state system. The state-run system has a troubled history marked by inmate suicides and brawls.
veryGood! (92849)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Japanese anime film 'The Boy and the Heron' debuts at No. 1, dethrones 'Renaissance'
- Elon Musk reinstates Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' X account
- Texans QB C.J. Stroud evaluated for concussion after head hits deck during loss to Jets
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Cardi B and Offset Split: Revisiting Their Rocky Relationship Journey
- Joe Flacco named Browns starting quarterback for rest of season after beating Jaguars
- In 911 calls, panicked students say they were stuck in rooms amid Las Vegas campus shooting
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- 'Tragic': Catholic priest died after attack in church rectory in Nebraska
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Northeast under wind, flood warnings as large storm passes
- MLB free agency: Five deals that should happen with Shohei Ohtani off the board
- Cardi B Confirms She's Single After Offset Breakup
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- In Booker-winning 'Prophet Song,' the world ends slowly and then all at once
- Indiana Fever win WNBA draft lottery, possible chance to pick Iowa star Caitlin Clark
- In Booker-winning 'Prophet Song,' the world ends slowly and then all at once
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Guyana agreed to talks with Venezuela over territorial dispute under pressure from Brazil, others
Vermont Sheriff’s Association calls for sheriff who kicked shackled prisoner to resign
Anna Cardwell, 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' star, dies at 29 following cancer battle
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Asia lags behind pre-pandemic levels of food security, UN food agency says
Putin running for reelection, almost sure to win another 6-year term
Key evidence in the disappearance and death of millionaire Andreen McDonald